18/01/2018

Petticoats and Bustle Pads

Hello everyone!

I thought I´ll sew some undergarments as they go relatively quickly before I start working on another major sewing project. So, here they are! :)


First one is 18th century basic under petticoat. I loosely based the design on the one in a book The American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Sewing, except I made the closure differently. On each side is a gap for easy access to pockets and front ties tie up in the back and back ties tie up in the front. As a material for the petticoat I used some heavy weight linen blend I had in my stash. Originally I planned to sew cat beds from it but well... Second picture shows front view of a Bum Pad. Pattern I used for it is from Simplicity: 8162. Material for this Bum Pad and other two Bustle Pads in this post was a cotton drill remnant from my Imperial Tournure.


Side and back view of the Bum Pad.


Then I (finally) made 1880´s Winter Petticoat! It is made in flannel (cotton). Pattern I used is from Truly Victorian: TV170, View3 - Late Bustle. First picture shows the petticoat worn over Imperial Tournure and second over Bustle Pad that is shown below. I like the first silhouette better but Bustle Pad is somewhat more practical for everyday wear. 


Side-back view of the petticoat worn over a Bustle Pad.


As the fabric is printed it doesn´t show easily on a photograph, but I sewed all tucks on a flounce that the pattern suggested. This way the flounce stands out nicely.


1870´s-1880´s Bustle Pad on it´s own. As stuffing I used my discarded clean nylon stockings that had holes in them. I cut them to small pieces first. I don´t remember exactly how many there were, but there was a full bag of them. I filled with them all three pads I made and I almost run out of them. Makes one think what a foolish investment nylon stockings are. Certainly not durable at least in my case... I learned my lesson and I plan to purchase in the future only silk, cotton and wool stockings.


Back view of the Bustle Pad.


Small Bum Pad for 1890´s to Edwardian era skirts. The purpose of this pad is to fill the hollow lower back and create more round behind. :)


Back view of the Bum Pad.


Bum Pad worn under Edwardian Petticoat which I forgot to iron before taking the picture. Sorry! 

Thank you for reading and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment